Hiking at Saddleback & Guided Hikes with the Saddleback Adventures Team
Guidelines for Summer & Fall Hiking at Saddleback
We all love a good leg burner day on the slopes. You can get the same great workout at Saddleback in the summertime. We welcome hikers! Here are some tips and rules to please keep in mind.
- There are two main hiking routes up Saddleback Mountain's ski resort side. The road by way of Lower Green Weaver and the most direct route, Grey Ghost. It’s 1.8 miles from the lodge to the summit (via Grey Ghost + Tri Color) and another 1.7 miles to the Horn from the summit. Click to open the trail map.
- Saddleback is Maine’s 3rd largest alpine zone, the ecosystem above tree line is extremely fragile, please always travel on durable surfaces such as rock or bare dirt.
- Plan ahead and prepare, pack plenty of water and extra layers, at over 4,000 feet the weather on the mountain will be much different than in town Rangeley. It can be cold and windy on the summit even in mid summer.
- We all love our dogs, but please be considerate of other visitors, and the fragile ecosystem and keep dogs on leash above tree line.
- There is active construction going on during the summer and early fall at Saddleback. Please be aware of construction vehicle traffic and allow the vehicles to pass.
- Hike at your own risk. Please be aware there are no on-mountain emergency services available.
Our Fat Tire Mountain Bar offers great hiking fuel. You can grab breakfast or lunch to-go or sit and enjoy a beverage Wednesday-Saturday 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., Sundays 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. When you've earned that post-hike beer, did we mention the Pub at Saddleback is open Wednesday-Saturday at 12 p.m. and Sundays 9 a.m. to 2 p.m? Learn more.
Guided Hikes Lead by the Saddleback Adventures Team
Encounter the peaks and valleys of western Maine on a guided hike with Saddleback Adventures. Saddleback is located in the heart of the Western Mountains of Maine and has some of the state’s most sought after hikes just footsteps away.
Saddleback Adventures can guide you on any of these hikes taking the load off your mind and shoulders. We’ll carry the included freshly packed lunch, first aid kit and any other equipment to ensure a safe, and fun hiking experience. Hike date schedules listed below.
- Cost: $110 per person
- Dates: Create a custom trip based on dates that work for you.
- Includes: Your Registered Maine Guide, lunch, and first aid.
Take a hike with us! To reserve your adventure, email Adventures@saddlebackmaine.com.
Summer Hiking Series
Western Maine Hikes Sponsored by L.L. Bean
Join Saddleback Adventures for a guided all ages hike this summer! Thanks to our partners at L.L.Bean this hiking series is FREE. Whether looking for a meandering path leading to a waterfall, or a panoramic view from a 4,000-foot peak, come alone or bring the whole family, this series has a hike for everyone.
- Cost: FREE. Does not include lunch. Advance registration required.
- Dates: Saturdays July 3 through September 25th. See details on each trip here.
- Meeting Location: Trail Head, see specific hike for details
Summit the High Peaks of Maine
Did you know Maine is home to 14, 4,000-foot peaks? Saddleback Mountain is lucky enough to be nestled right in the heart of the county containing 10 of these peaks. Come meet up with other likeminded hikers who wish to complete these 10 peaks in our 7 hike series. Let the Saddleback Adventure guides do all the trip planning and organizing to get you to the top of one or more of these high peaks to enjoy the sense of accomplishment and beauty found in the mountains. These hikes are very challenging and arduous; hikers will need to be competent with good physical stamina.
- Cost: $40 per hike. $20 prepared picnic lunch available by reservation. See menu link below.
- Dates: Sundays July 11th through Aug 22nd
- Meeting Location: Trail Head, see specific hike for details.
- Trip Also Includes: Voucher for final hike BBQ on Saddleback August 22nd. Saddleback will host an on-mountain BBQ lunch for all High Peaks hiking series participants.
More info on dates and trips here.
Take a hike with us! To reserve your adventure, email Adventures@saddlebackmaine.com. While you're here, please review the documents below.