Mother Nature can be so cruel; nice one day and miserable the next! During my 4:15 AM briefing with Jared Emerson, he warned me that the east wind was picking up and it could become an issue. I inserted that comment in the early morning snow reports at 4:30 AM. Upon arrival to the base area at 6:40 AM, it was apparent to me that the 7:30 ski with management was not going to happen. The wind was honking a good 40 to 50 mph from the east. The east wind is the direction that negatively affects our lifts. (Fortunately, an east wind is NOT our prevailing wind)  At 7:00 AM I updated all of the reports to reflect the increased wind velocity and stated that lifts would be on wind hold. We kept hope alive, keeping the lifties on stand by. By 10:00 AM, winds had increased to 60 mph gusts and it was apparent that skiing was not to be today at Saddleback, after enjoying a nice sunny day with superb skiing yesterday! Another day of challenges operating a ski mountain.

The forecast calls for some wet snow to begin any time now. It may change to a wintery mix this afternoon. Precipitation will change back to snow tonight and end around midnight. We may pick up some small amount of new accumulation. Winds will slowly subside overnight and we expect to be back into operation by 9:00 AM Monday. The long range forecast calls for a beautiful week of sunshine and pleasant temperatures. Another stretch of midweek skiing similar to last week is expected. I hope that you can get here to enjoy it.

We have a new midweek ski & stay package that you may be interested in. Now you can stay either Tuesday or Wednesday night and ski two days for just $94 per person plus tax with 4 persons to a two bedroom condo. If there are only two, the rate is $114 each. Our normal two day lift ticket is $94, so it’s almost like having free lodging! For details or a reservation call Hermila, Chrissy or Susan at 1-877-864-5441.

If you would like to reach me, send your comments to cklefos@saddlebackmaine.com